Clinical Case Database / Category: Clinical Care
Vaccinations in the elderly
Joanna Devlin BA, BM, BCh (Oxon), Michael Vassallo MD, FRCP (Lond), FRCP (Edin), DGM, MPhil, PhD (Soton)
Foundation Years Journal, volume 3, issue 9, p.12 (123Doc Education, London, November 2010)
This case report reviews the role of vaccination in protecting the elderly, who are at particular risk from infections including influenza and pneumonia and their associated complications. The availability, indication and context of appropriate vaccination are discussed.
Access the Clinical Cases Database
A subscription is required to read the full article. Please subscribe using one of the options below.
|Foundation Years Clinical Cases Database||£29.00||6 months|
|Foundation Years Clinical Cases Database||£39.00||12 months|
Joanna Devlin BA, BM, BCh (Oxon)
Foundation Year 2 Doctor, Royal Bournemouth Hospital
Michael Vassallo MD, FRCP (Lond), FRCP (Edin), DGM, MPhil, PhD (Soton)
Consultant Physician and Foundation Programme Director
in Royal Bournemouth Hospital and Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer in Southampton University.
1. Gavazzi G, Krause KH. Ageing and infection. Lancet Infect Dis. 2002, 2:659â€“666. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(02)00437â€“1.
2. Poole PJ. et al. Influenza vaccine for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006, (1):CD002733.
3. Demicheli V et al. Vaccines for preventing influenza in healthy adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004, (3):CD001269.
4. Blank, P. et al, Vaccination coverage rates in eleven European countries during two consecutive influenza seasons, Journal of Infection, Volume 58, Issue 6, Pages 446â€“458.
5. Rapezzi D, Sticchi L, Racchi O, Mangerini R, Ferraris AM, Gaetani GF. Influenza vaccine in chronic lymphoproliferative disorders and multiple myeloma. Eur J Haematol, 2003, 70: 225-30
6. Van der Velden AM. et al, Influenza virus vaccination and booster in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukaemia patients. Eur J Intern Med, 2001, 12: 420â€“ 424.
7. Centkowski P, Polish Lymphoma Research Group. Immunogenicity of influenza vaccination in patients with non- Hodgkin lymphoma. J Clin Immunol, 2007, 27:339â€“346.
8. Hayward AC, Harling R, Wetten S, Johnson AM, Munro S, Smedley J, et al. Effectiveness of an influenza vaccine programme for care home staff to prevent death, morbidity, and health service use among residents: cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ, 2006 doi: 10.1136/bmj.39010.581354.55.
9. Immunisation Against Infectious Disease - "The Green Book". Chapter 25 Pneumococcal (December 2006).
11. Immunisation Against Infectious Disease - "The Green Book". Chapter 18 Hepatitis B (December 2006).
12. United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. Report prepared for the 2nd World Assembly on Ageing, 2002. (ST/ESA/SER.A/207) United Nations Publishing: New York; 2001. World population ageing 1950â€“2050. http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/worldageing19502050/ (accessed 14 February 2007)
Conflict Of Interest
The Journal requires that authors disclose any potential conflict of interest that they may have. This is clearly stated in the Journal’s published “Guidelines for Authors”. The Journal follows the Guidelines against Conflict of Interest published in the Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals (http://www.icmje.org/urm_full.pdf).
The authors of this article have not been paid. The Journal is financed by subscriptions and advertising. The Journal does not receive money from any other sources. The decision to accept or refuse this article for publication was free from financial considerations and was solely the responsibility of the Editorial Panel and Editor-in-Chief.
Patient Consent statement
All pictures and investigations shown in this article are shown with the patients’ consent. We require Authors to maintain patients’ anonymity and to obtain consent to report investigations and pictures involving human subjects when anonymity may be compromised. The Journal follows the Guidelines of the Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts (http://www.icmje.org/urm_full.pdf). The Journal requires in its Guidelines for Authors a statement from Authors that “the subject gave informed consent”.
Animal & Human Rights
When reporting experiments on human subjects, the Journal requires authors to indicate whether the procedures followed were in accordance with the ethical standards of the responsible committee on human experimentation (institutional and national) and with the HelsinkiDeclaration of 1975, as revised in 2008.
About the Clinical Cases Database
The Foundation Years Clinical Cases Database is a selection of 600 peer-reviewed clinical cases in the field of patient safety and clinical practice, specifically focused on the clinical information needs of junior doctors, based around the Foundation Year Curriculum programme (MMC). The cases have been chosen to align with the Foundation Year Curriculum.
The database is fully searchable, or can be browsed by medical specialty. Abstracts can be read free of charge, however a subscription is required in order to read the complete cases.